It's true you know, you can choose your friends, but you can't choose your family. Not that there's anything wrong with my family, I love them all dearly.
But I have chosen my friends. And believe me, I have chosen very carefully.
Friendships need to be nurtured and efforts need to be made when it comes to developing lifelong bonds. And that's what I'm doing now. I'm making what I hope are friends for life.
I used to have a good crew of mates when I lived in the Adelaide Hills. The Barker Bratpack. A bunch of kids with too much money, too many toys, and much-inflated egos. They were good fun. Reckless, full of bluster and bravado, and always up for a drink and a good time. But most of them fell by the wayside after I split with my husband, who had happened to 'be involved' with a couple of them - nice.
Anyhow, I have never replicated that friendship group. I did pick up a couple of 'mates for life' during my time at Parliament House. And I have two girlfriends from school who I adore, but rarely see. The good thing about those two though, is that I can pick up the phone, or have an email conversation, or even when I do see them in person, simply continue a conversation like it was yesterday that we last caught up. Friends like that are truly hard to find.
Many of my friendships went south while I was with A's daddy, who was extremely antisocial. We rarely socialised for almost 5 years, and after the split I realised how alone I really was.
So, with that in the back of my mind, I set out to make friendships of my own, and I'm quite happy with the results.
I now regularly associate with a couple of groups, as well as spending time with my gorgeous bestie, who provides me with everything I could want in a man (except for the sex).
One group of gals comprises beautiful women I met after I had A. Our mother's group meets regularly, often sans children, and they have been a source of strength during the past 3 years. They were the first people outside my family I confided in when A's daddy left, and they have rallied regularly to pick me up off the floor, dust me off, and give me the confidence to try again. I really can't speak highly, or dearly, enough of them. They are beautiful inside and out, and I would be lost without them.
Then there is another group of gals whom have kindly 'taken me in'. I might call them my soccer gals, even though I don't play, but that is one thing they all have in common. They are a fun, loving and generous group, always ready with a listening ear, kind word or warm hug. Intelligent and funny, I have bonded quickly with them and love their company, and know that our catch ups will have a quirky bent.
And that leaves my gorgeous bestie. He is truly my soulmate as well as my best mate, and I absolutely adore him. I don't ever remember loving another person, apart from A of course, this deeply and unconditionally. He could tell me he'd killed someone, and I'd simply grab a shovel and offer to help him get rid of the body!!! My tolerance and like I said unconditional love, runs that deep when it comes to him. I won't hear a bad word spoken about him, and I can't ever imagine having a cross word with him, and I know that he will only ever tell me the truth.
I don't mean to rave on and on, but it is so hard to put into words how much I cherish this relationship, and how awesome it is. It's so nice to know that someone has got my back, and that no matter what trouble I may find myself in, he always wants to 'fix it'.
So in that regard, I am a very lucky gal to find myself surrounded with so many beautiful friends. I intend to keep each and every one of you in my life, and promise to be here for you when you need.
And a special shout to my bestie - honey you give the best hugs in the world!!!
Mwah Ellie xxx
No comments:
Post a Comment