Saturday, January 1, 2011

Setting a challenge

I just wanted to let you all in on something I'm going to be doing during January. I've been inspired by my lovely friend E who has declared January an 'unnecessary purchase-free month'.

It got me thinking. How often do we buy crap that we don't really need? I know I'm absolutely hopeless, so I'm going to do something about it.

E has decided that her children don't need any more pieces of 'plastic crap' cluttering their rooms nor their mind, and I am with her on that.

People who come to my house often marvel that only one child lives here, given the huge array of toys that A has. She certainly doesn't need anything else in a hurry - especially given that we've just had Christmas and again she was spoiled rotten by my parents, who absolutely love their two grandchildren to bits.

I also do not really need anything. I have more clothes than I can poke a stick at - those who have visited my favourite room in my house (my walk in robe) can certainly attest to that, I am swamped with shoes, and don't even talk to me about jewellery, especially since I received some for Christmas as well, which will quell my desire for a little while.

So, here is the challenge which I am setting myself: No unnecessary purchases for a month, with two goals in mind.

Firstly, I will not be adding to the existing clutter in our home.

Secondly, I hopefully will save some money - and goodness knows that as a single mother I certainly really need to do that.

I do have one rider on my challenge though, I will not be going without my daily take away coffee. That said, I shall limit myself to one, and only on the days that I work, as goodness knows how my day would go if I didn't arrive at work without my jumbo capp!!!

So as far as I can tell, that only leaves food to buy. I will also ban any alcoholic purchases for the month, as technically that is not a necessity.

I know it sounds silly, but I'm actually really looking forward to seeing how I go. And I do seem to recall someone saying that if you can do something for four weeks then it becomes a habit - sounds good to me!!!

So here is to reducing my clutter, saving my coin, and generally cutting down on unnecessary spending.

I will let you know how I get on. And much love and thanks to E, who in a very short time has fast become an inspiration.

Mwah, Ellie xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment